Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 11-- Gasthaus Bratwurst and Knackwurst

One of my main reasons for doing this blog is because in a little under 2 months, I will be celebrating my heritage in the heart of Germany during Oktoberfest. Needless to say I am pretty excited about it, and I am sure my coworkers and other friends and sick of hearing about it. So to prep myself, I took a trip to Stillwater Minnesota (again) and went to Gasthaus for some dinner and beer. I figured it is time for someone else to do the cooking for one day.

The restaurant gives a wonderful atmosphere and dishes up some damn fine German food. Weinderschnitzel, Sauerbraten, Wurst's, it is all there and all amazing. The beer choices are all of the major imports from Germany on tap. I went with a Paulner Heffe-Weizen (1 liter mug of course!) to wash down the deliciousness.

At this restaurant when you order a wurst, you get 2, along with German potato salad and sauerkraut. No ketchup in here either, you get a choice of a sweet and spicy mustard or a horseradish spicy clear your sinuses mustard.

I went with the bratwurst and the knackwurst. Both incredible. The brat had distinctive hints of black pepper and the nutmeg they put in gives a balance of sweetness. The knackwurst had an excellent smoky taste (but not over bearing like other smoked meats can be) with the hint garlic coming in perfect balance. I naturally went with the spicy mustard on these to help give it that kick I like in food. The horseradish really gave the knackwurst a boost of flavor and played well with the garlic. The German potato salad was good, but nobody makes it right like Grandma Betty does.

Beer. Spicy Mustard. Sauerkraut. Wurst's. How can you get any better?

If you are in the Twin Cities area and are looking for some proper German food, then by all means come down to Stillwater and hit up Gasthaus, you will not be disappointed!

Taste 5/5
Cost 2/5 (expensive to eat here, $14 for two sausages, potato salad, kraut, and soup) add in $11 for a liter of beer and a tip. Desert will run you an additional $9 (I suggest the Black Forest Cake if you have room for it!)
Awesomeness For Going to a Restaurant With Goats In The Backyard 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment