Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 22--Old Wisconsin Summer Sausage

Whoa now, changing things up here big time! But that's alright because variety is the spice of life, and I had plenty of this delicious summer sausage to get the spicy aspect of it.

I have family in town this weekend, and part of our gatherings consists of three things. Drinks, cheese, and summer sausage. I mean honestly, who doesn't love a meat and cheese platter? So with my family in town, I had to do it up proper, and my family goes between three different brands of summer sausage, Johnsonville (beef or garlic), Hillshire Farm, and Old Wisconsin.

I have done far too many Johnsonville products on this blog, so I went with one I haven't had in a while, Old Wisconsin. My biggest reason for going with one of the three mentioned above is for two reasons; 1. Not greasy (well in the wrapping it is a bit greasy, but once unwrapped and cut, nice and moist but not slippery) and 2. Drier sausage. Now this is personal preference, but I like the harder (or drier) summer sausage because it works well with the cheese and crackers and just tastes fresher to me.

Old Wisconsin Original sausage is a simple but delicious and at a fair price. With hints of mild garlic and black pepper, you get a nice spicy treat to go along with the cheese of your choice. The casing is not too thick (Johnsonville Summer Sausage has a much thicker casing) so it is nice for people who don't like to have it stuck in between their teeth.

An easy to prepare snack for any occasion, summer sausage and cheese is sure to be a hit no matter who you serve it up to. Got a vegetarian at the party? No problem, they can avoid the meat!

My rankings of my family favs
1. Johnsonville (I enjoy the thicker casing, and a bit on the spicier side)
2. Old Wisconsin
3. Hillshire Farm (their original flavor is a bit bland for my liking)

Taste 4/5
Cost 4/5
Party Like The Author 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment