Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 9-- Hillshire Farm Hotlinks

A few posts down you'll notice I gave some props to some of my GM Truck Enthusiasts over at GMTruckhq. Onimun, take no offense, you always a top dog in my book. Anyways, I have known a fellow poster over there for quite some time now and he had been hounding me to do a review on some hotlinks. Well J_Sin, this is just for you pal!

Hillshire Farms and Johnsonville products are pretty similar in pricing and taste, but Johnsonville doesn't have hotlinks, so give Hillshire the advantage on that one I suppose. But Johnsonville does have a wider variety of grilling meats.

These hotlinks don't look like anything special when you first pull them out of the packaging. They have a pretty nice casing on them and was able to withstand some extended time on the grill when I had them on there this afternoon. They don't give off any particular smell to let you know you are cooking them, but as I said, I am impressed how well they hold together when being on the grill for a longer time. Good work there Hillshire!

As for taste, they are similar to a jumbo hotdog in taste with a mild degree of spiciness. When I took my first bite there was a noticeable feeling of hotness to it that soon fizzled out. Needless to say I was pretty bummed about that because I do love me some spicy food. I also noticed they kept the pepper seeds mixed in with the meat when it was put through the casing, so beware you may get some unexpected crunch when eating these. Sadly, the seeds don't help bring back any of the heat and you are left with a thicker jumbo style hotdog with pepper seeds in it. If you like spicy foods, feel free to pass up on these when you see them in the store.

I may be missing out on some other popular brands of hotlinks and like my New Orleans style sausage review I beg anyone out there to point me in the direction of a well known brand so I can do a compare and contrast style review. I know there is a huge variety of Italian sausages out there with varying levels of intensity for spiciness, so I can only imagine the same for hotlinks. Email me, comment, or leave a post on the forums where I have promoted this!

Taste 3/5
Spiciness 3/5 then drops to a 1/5
Cost 4/5 (pretty cheap to try something new if you are in desperation mode)

No comments:

Post a Comment