Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 20--Nathan's Hotdogs

You'd think by now I'd be real sick of hotdogs. Actually, they are easier to eat consistently over sausages. I was worried at first I would not have enough to find and write about, but I find that I might not get to all I wanted to. Which is a good thing.

Chestnut or Kobiashi [sp?] the 4th of July means fireworks, music, beer, and the hotdog eating championships in New York. This red, white, and blue spectacle is put on by Nathans, and hundreds gather to chow down. Watching this madness can be incredibly disgusting. Dunking hotdogs in water, need I say more? But what about the actual dog, how good is it? Does it deserve to be wolfed down on national tv?

The short answer is yes. However, this dog is on par with some of the other greats. The bigger difference I taste is a little hint of beef and pork at times, which is pretty slick.

Grilling is quick as these are a thinner and longer dog. They are also a bit lighter in color too, which I found interesting. For the money, not a bad buy.

If you see Nathans at the store, snag some up to break the cycle of your typical go to dogs. These are a nice comfort zone breaker.

Taste 4/5
Cost 3/5
Eating A National Icon 3/5 [all dogs are American in my book!]

No comments:

Post a Comment