Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 19-- State Fair Corn Dogs

I wish I could be making this post in a month from now when the Great Minnesota Get Together was happening, but sadly I can't. Maybe stay tuned for a special entry or two for some reviews on the Minnesota State Fair, because they have some damn good sausages as well as other foods to comment on. Alligator sausage on a stick and of course Pronto Pups come to mind.

When I moved here to Minnesota I couldn't understand what all the hype was about with the Fair. My dormmates convinced me it was the greatest thing created by humans outside of beer. So I went and was blown away by all the spectacles that they have at this thing. 100's of stuff on a stick, political agendas, live stock, art shows, horticulture exhibits, rides, and concerts at the Grandstand. Hoooooly shit. I mean holy shit, Minnesotans take their fair seriously, people from all over this state migrate back for it, heck, even people across the country come back. Is it worth the gas and lodging? Or the plane ticket? Yes. I had one of the most wonderful experiences last year at the fair.

After a long day of walking, eating, walking, and eating, my fiance and I stopped in at Famous Daves for a pulled pork sandwich and chocolate covered bacon. Then one of the top must have foods of the fair was next door, Sweet Martha's cookies. A bucket of those fresh out of the oven little pieces of Heaven with huge glasses of milk. We sat with our bucket of chocolate goodness and sat behind Sweet Martha's while listening to KISS rock the faces off of St. Paul at the Grandstand. You know life is good when you have hot fresh cookies and listening to a live performance of Dr. Love. Where was I going with this......

Oh! Right! Corn dogs! These are a staple of the MN Fair, and these dogs found in the blue box in your local grocers freezer are a great way to get pumped for the fair. Or at least provide a quick, cheap meal for your family. Seriously, it's like $2.00 for a box of 8, can't go wrong. Toss them in the oven for the suggested time (cooking tip provided by a coworker, I was a stickler for the microwave on these) and you have a well done corn dog.

The breading is the right amount of sweet, the hot dog has a nice beef flavor to it, and you just can't go wrong with it. Dip it in ketchup, mustard, both, or eat it on it's own, the State Fair brand corn dogs have never let me down. Kids generally love them too, which is a plus when you are a busy household.

Taste 5/5
Cost 5/5
House Made Food On A Stick Without A Deep Fryer 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment