Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 13---Sonic Coney Dog and Chicago Dog

Sonic restaurants are a rather new thing up here in Minnesota, but not for a lot of you out there. Sonic recently started a campaign of all beef hotdogs and how awesome they are, and authentic to the areas they represent.

Dogs, Limeades, Tater Tots, how could they mess it up? Actually, they do quite well in some respects. I scraped aside their toppings on my Coney dog so I could get just a taste of the hotdog itself, and it does in fact taste like an all beef dog. Really beefy for that matter. Not up there like the angus beef, but around the same level of Hebrew National.

The Coney Dog was done perfect. The chili was nice and thick, not all watery like some places. Cheese was abundant, and of course it was messy. Proper Coney dog style the way I like it.

Chicago Dog, well, I was a bit disappointed. One, not authentic Vienna Beef hotdogs. Two, sweet relish instead of the atomic green relish. Now I know I am splitting hairs to some readers, but, those in the greater Illinois area are all nodding with me in agreement that it is wrong. The Windy City boasts about a lot of things and for the most part can come off as being really cocky at times, which to be expected of almost every major city population, but their food, it is like a whole other level with them. Pizza and Dogs!

Growing up not too far from the Windy City, I had several places that would do it proper, and anything else was just imitation. So I too am a bit of a Chicago Dog snob, but once you have had an authentic one, there is no comparison, it is honestly my favorite way to have a fully loaded hotdog. Chicago Dog, Stillwater is still the ONLY place here in Minnesota that I have found that can do it 100% correct. Confused about what I am bantering about? Check below!




That is what it is supposed to look like. Sonic had it close, but no cigar. A very nice attempt at it, so if you have never had one, give it a try for a "get your feet wet" experience. The Coney is proper though!

**Note, the Atomic or Neon relish has a very minimal sweet taste to it unlike many other relishes that hit you hard on the sweet part. It is hard to describe in words, but once you have it you can tell the difference right away.**

Taste 5/5 (Coney) 3/5 (Chicago)
Cost 2/5
Variety At A Burger Place 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment